Quote courtesy of Thinkexsist.com
Photo courtesy of http://www.holyswitch.nl
I was afraid to swim, because I was afraid to drown.
Before starting my normal routine this morning, I decided to go swimming at the YMCA. I figured since I am in the rebirth stage of my life — I would be able to claim sure victory over my greatest fear. I jumped in the water and immediately begin to panic. Frustrated, I waded in the water for two minutes before a fellow lap swimmer came by and said, “Take your time and breathe.” She further suggested I swim the short length of the pool before trying to conquer the deep end. “If you jump off in the deep end you are going to have to do something!” she said. Whoa! The statement hit me like a ton of bricks. After a few unsuccessful turned successful attempts at swimming laps in the shorter width of the pool, the life guard came by and suggested I sign up for beginner swimming lessons. “You won’t fear the water if you know how to navigate the waves,” she said.
We only fear what we have not perfected. Perfection in this sense is doing something repeatedly until it becomes a part of who you are. There are three core reasons why we fail at achieving personal perfection:
- We are afraid of what we will discover about our own human potential.
- We become frustrated in the practice process and give up before perfection is achieved.
- We believe false thoughts of inadequacy and incapability.
Practicing perfection means you have to:
- Sacrifice your comfort zone.
- Do something you likely won’t enjoy over and over and over again.
- Fighting thoughts that would make you believe you don’t have what it takes to achieve personal perfection.
- Wholeheartedly believe in your human and personal potential.
- Combat periods of frustration with insurmountable faith in your personal ability.
I start swimming lessons next week. I am not scared of drowning – my greater challenge is in the journey I will experience in seeing myself overcome a fear that has for too long held me in captivity.
Today, dare to practice perfection…Because You Can!